Hello, dear readers! I have something different for you today. I am offering my services as a sensitivity reader. As such, the tone of this entry is going to be different than my usual profanity-ridden, plain language snark.
Here we go.
- B.A., Biological Sciences, Smith College
- M.S., Biomedical Sciences, Rutgers School of Biomedical and Health Sciences
- Thesis topic: Use of linear after-the-exponential PCR with finicky molecular beacons to identify single-nucleotide polymorphisms in KRAS oncogene
- Professional medical writing & editing, 3 years
- Hobbyist original fiction and fanfiction writing, 25 years
- Winner, Two Sisters Writing & Publishing “It’s All Dialogue” Contest (2017)
- Honorable Mention, TulipTree Publishing “Stories That Need to Be Told” Contest (2017)
Sensitivity Reading Topics
I offer sensitivity reading services for the following identities with the caveat that these identities, like human beings, are all multifaceted and complex. My services–indeed, the services of any individual sensitivity reader–do not guarantee that every reader will find portrayals respectful and accurate when viewing the work through their individual lens.
- Asexual representation
- Gray-asexual and demisexual representation
- Nomaromantic representation
- Lesbian representation
- Major depressive disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Social anxiety
- Selective mutism
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Complex post-traumatic stress disorder
- Other specified dissociative disorder
- Bulimia nervosa
- Anorexia nervosa
- Other specified feeding/eating disorder
- Borderline personality disorder
- Sensory processing disorder
- Auditory processing disorder
- Executive dysfunction
- Emotional abuse
- Abusive parents
- Leaving abusive situations
- Religious conversion
- Ex-Christian issues
- Religious trauma
- Feminist and gender issues
- Being a woman in STEM
- Mainstream feminism (and its failings)
- Feminism through disability and neurodivergent lenses
- Femme identity/presentation
These rates include a full read-through of your manuscript, after which I will deliver a 1-3 page brief analyzing your representation of the identities for which I am reading and, if necessary, suggesting revisions based on my analysis. You are welcome to email me with follow-up questions afterward. If you wish to book me as a sensitivity reader, please email me at email@example.com.
Note: Upon booking me, I will send you an invoice for my services. You must send me 50% of the agreed-upon rate at that point. I will not begin my sensitivity read until I have received this payment. The remaining amount will be paid after I complete my services.
Rates are as follows:
- 5,000 – 10,000 words: $75
- 10,000 – 15,000 words: $125
- 15,000 – 30,000 words: $175
- 30,000 – 60,000 words: $225
- 60,000 – 100,000 words: $275
- 100,000+ words: $275 + $0.005 per word
I will read work in the following genres:
- Young adult
- New adult
- Science fiction
I will not read the following genres:
- Romance, including erotica
- Historical fiction
I look forward to working with you!
Mentally ill activist and angry Disabled loudmouth. Neuroqueer as hell.